Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Corn Muffins

It's cool and rainy here on May the 20th.  So, we are having Ham 'n Beans for dinner tonight.  Something to go with?  Corn Muffins, right?



I've used this recipe exclusively since I got it from my granddaughter, Olivia.  She has a little cookbook called "The Hey Girls Muffin Makers"  and the recipe comes from that cookbook.



Here's the recipe:

1 1/4 Cup flour (I used whole wheat pastry flour)
3/4 Cup corn meal
1/3 Cup sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 Cup buttermilk (I use 4 Tbl. dry buttermilk powder and 1 Cup water)
1/3 Cup oil (I used light olive oil)
1 large egg beaten

Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees.  Line a 12 cup paper lined muffin tin.

Combine dry ingredients.  Here is where I use the dry buttermilk powder.  Four tablespoons to one cup of water = one cup of buttermilk.  This stuff is handy because it's hard for me to have buttermilk on hand.




In another bowl or a large measuring cup, wisk together the wet ingredients.  Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the wet ingredients.  Stir until almost smooth.




Spoon into paper lined muffin pan -- about 1/4 Cup of batter per muffin.  Bake until the muffins are puffed and golden and a toothpick comes out clean.




The temperatures on ovens vary greatly.  The recipe calls for baking 17 - 19 minutes, but mine only took about 15 minutes, so watch carefully.



I usually have a little bit of batter left over from this recipe, but not nearly enough to warrant a second batch of muffins.


Enjoy with a smear of honey butter.  Simply mix equal parts of honey and softened butter (yes, butter).  We are lucky to get our honey from a local bee keeper -- he's also a co-worker of my hubby, so it's a win win.


Enjoy friends!


No comments:

Post a Comment