Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Jalapeno Jelly

The abundance of jalapeno peppers in our garden prompted me to look into some recipes.  We like the red pepper jelly that you buy in the store and, when in a pinch for an appetizer, pour some over a block of cream cheese and serve with crackers.  Mmmm.  I think this jalapeno jelly will work just as well.  Also I can imagine how amazing it would be to serve along side a country ham at thanksgiving!  Well, enough dreaming about food.  Here's the recipe.  I think the jelly turned out very pretty!


Ingredients (recipe from Favorite Family Recipes blog)
  • 1 lg. red bell pepper
  • 1 lg. green bell pepper
  • 10 jalapenos (mild to medium)
  • 1 1/2 c. white vinegar
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 6 c. sugar--I used 5 cups*
  • 1 pouch Certo liquid fruit pectin (usually by jello aisle at wal-mart)
Instructions
  • Prepare the peppers by removing the seeds and veins.  Chop coursely then put in food processor, finely chop peppers. Put in large pot with vinegar, salt and sugar. Boil for 10 minutes stirring often. Add Certo pouch and boil 1 more minute. Fill canning jars. Water bath for 10 minutes (wait a day or so before serving so the jelly has a change to 'gel'). Makes about 6 half pint jars.

*I use organic cane sugar instead of white sugar.  I know, sugar is sugar, but I like the fact that it's organic and not as processed as the white stuff.  This resulted in a more amber colored jelly than one would get with white sugar.


Hope you will try this!
Enjoy Friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment